Monday, April 16, 2012

Reduce Plastic Bags!!!


I buy groceries about twice or three times a week. The reason for this is because I do not have a car at school therefore I rather buy small amounts of groceries at one time, than too many that I have a hard time carrying them. Because I shop so often, I also waste a lot of plastic bags. I thought about carrying an extra bag when I knew I was going to buy groceries, the problem with this is that more than half the time I spontaneously decide to buy groceries. Or when I do plan to go, for some reason or another I end up not having time and carrying the extra bag around would get very annoying.

I decided to look for a portable groceries bag online. Something that folds to be small enough to carry on a daily basis on my normal purse, but opens up to be big enough to fit all my groceries. I found what is called a “reuseit Workhorse bag” from the website reuseit.com (http://www.reuseit.com/store/reuseit-workhorse-original-bluesign-fabric-p-2391.html?slave_id=2393&ponoID=r0aep5pf3omorur8r646o28327). This bag folds up to be no bigger than the palm of my hand but can hold up to 25 pounds!



I now carry this bag around on a daily basis. I have reduced the amount of plastic bags that I used to waste to about one or none per week. When I do happen to get a plastic bag it is usually over the weekend when I do not carry my regular purse, or if I happen to overbuy groceries. I recommend everyone getting one of these bags. They are so small you don’t even notice it in your purse but so useful and very sustainable.


No comments:

Post a Comment