Monday, March 26, 2012

Sustainability with this hot weather!


Last week, the temperature extremely increased. Because of this, every time I got back home from work, class, or even out for lunch, I had the need to shower to refresh myself. It also made it worse that the heaters were still on in my apartment since no one expected to be so hot so soon. At first I must admit I began showering twice a day without concern but soon after I started realizing the great amount of water I was wasting. I decided to conserve water as my next step towards sustainability. First I had to reduce the times I showered per day. This was not an easy task because I very much dislike feeling hot or sweaty. So I decided that every time I felt the need to shower during the day I placed a wet towel on my forehead to cool myself down. This helped control my impulse to shower and therefore decreased the times I showered per day. But showered less per day seemed not enough for a week task towards myself being more sustainable. I also decided for this week not only to reduce the amount of times I would shower per day but somehow also reduce the time I spend in the shower. I began by timing my shower the first couple I varied from 20 to 30minutes. My goal was to decrease a total of 3 minutes every day until I reached my goal of 10-15minutes per shower. In order to achieve this I tried hurrying while in the shower and not lingering and spacing out. It was hard to achieve this since for me when I shower I consider it my relaxation time. After a few times it started becoming a routine and I began showering faster. Also, timing myself helped me keep track of my improvements. 

No comments:

Post a Comment